PALIKIR, POHNPEI. March 6, 2023– The General Election for the Federated States of Micronesia is set for March 7, 2023, Tuesday morning from 7am thru 5pm across the Nation. Citizens will decide on their 14 Member representatives to the Twenty Third Congress of the FSM, through which, the next Administration and Leadership of the Nation will also be decided.
The Congress of the FSM is a unicameral (one body) national legislature comprised of 14 Members. Four (4) of whom are elected on the basis of state equality as at-large representatives that serve a four-year term and are eligible for the Presidency and Vice Presidency. The remaining ten (10) members are elected for a two-year term representing an electoral district as apportioned by population. Accordingly, the composition of the Congress Members is: Chuuk - 6; Kosrae - 2; Pohnpei - 4; and Yap - 2.
Citizens will go to the polls tomorrow to elect their state Members in the upcoming Twenty Third Congress and those 29 candidates vying for the 14 seats are, in alphabetical order of the states:
For the State of Chuuk,13 candidates are vying for the state’s six (6) seats and they are:
1. At-Large, 4yr state representative: Incumbent Wesley W. Simina is being challenged by Gillian N. Doone and Nakama Sana;
2. Congressional Election District 1 (Mortlock Islands): Incumbent Florencio Singkoro Harper is being challenged by Juan K. Martin;
3. Congressional Election District 2 (Northern Namoneas): Incumbent Victor Vicky Gouland is being challenged by Tainiro K. Killion;
4. Congressional Election District 3 (Southern Namoneas): Incumbent Perpetua S. Konman is being challenged by Myron S. Hashiguchi;
5. Congressional Election District 4 (Faichuuk Region): Incumbent Tiwiter H. Aritos is running unopposed; and
6. Congressional Election District 5 (Northwest Region): Incumbent Robson U. Romolow is being challenged by Ruphin Micky and Zander Refilong.
For the State of Kosrae,three (3) candidates are vying for the state’s two (2) representatives and they are:
1. Aren B. Palik and Yoslyn G. Sigrah are vying for the at-Large, 4yr state representative. Incumbent Rolinson B. Neth did not file a petition; and
2. Incumbent Paliknoa K. Welly is running unopposed as the state’s 2yrs representative.
For the State of Pohnpei,10 candidates are vying for the states’ four (4) representatives, and they are:
1. At-Large, 4yr state representative: Incumbent Peter M. Christian is being challenged by David W. Panuelo, Welson Panuel and William N. Kostka;
2. Congressional Election District 1 (Kolonia, Sokehs and the Southern Islands): Incumbent Ferny S. Perman is being challenged by Merlynn A. Alfonso;
3. Congressional Election District 2 (Madolenihmw and Kitti): Incumbent Dion G. Neth is being challenged by Quincy Lawrence; and
4. Congressional Election District 3 (U, Neth and the Eastern Islands): Incumbent Esmond B. Moses is being challenged by Erick Paul.
And finally, for the State of Yap,there are also three (3) candidates vying for the state’s two (2) representatives in the Congress and they are:
1. At-Large, 4yr state representative: Incumbent Joseph J. Urusemal is being challenged by Fidelis Thiyer Fanoway; and
2. Incumbent Isaac V. Figir is running unopposed as the state’s 2yrs representative.
The winning candidates will then be Members-elect of the new Congressional Body to be sworn into office on May 11, 2023 as Members of the Twenty Third Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia.
* * *