PALIKIR, POHNPEI – May 12, 2017. The First Regular Session of the new Twentieth Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia has convened and reorganized its leadership and maintained Senator Wesley W. Simina as the Speaker for the new body.
The leadership of Congress is comprised of the Presiding Officers and the Chairmen of the seven congressional committees. As organized, the leadership of the new body is as follows, for the Presiding Officers:
1. Senator Wesley W. Simina from the State of Chuuk maintained his role as Speaker;
2. Senator Esmond B. Moses of the State of Pohnpei is elected as the new Vice Speaker; and
3. Senator Florencio Singkoro Harper of the State of Chuuk is once again the Floor Leader of the body.
For the chairmen of the seven congressional committees:
1. Senator Joseph J. Urusemal of Yap again heads the Committee on Education;
2. Senator Paliknoa K. Welly of Kosrae maintains his chairmanship on the Committee on External Affairs;
3. Senator Ferny S. Perman of Pohnpei is the new Chairman of the Committee on Health and Social Affairs;
4. Senator Robson Romolow of Chuuk takes over the Committee on Judiciary and Governmental Operations;
5. Senator David W. Panuelo of Pohnpei maintains his chairmanship of the Committee on Resources and Development;
6. Senator Victor Gouland of Chuuk also maintains his chairmanship of the Committee on Transportation and Communication; and
7. Senator Isaac V. Figir of Yap too maintained his role as the head of the Committee on Ways and Means.
Unless agreed upon for earlier adjournment, the First Regular Session of the 20th Congress is scheduled to adjourn on May 30, 2017. The interested general public is always welcome to observe the Congress in session.
* * *
THIS WEEK IN CONGRESS